Klenina Anastasiya Aleksandrovna, Candidate of biological sciences, junior researcher, herpetology and toxinology laboratory, Institute of Ecology of the Volga basin of RAS (10 Komzina street, Togliatty, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Bakiev Andrey Gennad'evich, Candidate of biological sciences, senior researcher, herpetology and toxinology laboratory, Institute of Ecology of the Volga basin of RAS (10 Komzina street, Togliatty, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The study is aimed at studying patterns of age-related changes in the proportions of the body of colubrid snakes (the family Colubridae) living in the Middle Volga region – Natrix natrix, N. tessellata, Coronella austriaca, Elaphe dione.
Materials and methods. Animals were caught in 2009–2014. In snakes caught in nature and born in captivity by these snakes, the generally accepted signs of external morphology were taken into account.
Results. Values of the index L.corp./L.cd. (the quotient from dividing the length of the body without a tail by the length of the tail) in males and females of four species with an increase in the linear dimensions of the snakes change in one sequence. After birth, an increase in the index L.corp./L.cd. With further growth of snakes, the index decreases, which is probably due to puberty. Then the index increases again.
Conclusions. In males and females of four species of colubrid snakes in the Middle Volga, age-related changes in body proportions have the same sequence. The revealed patterns may be characteristic of other snake species, which requires additional research.
1. Bakiev A. G., Malenev A. L., Zaytseva O. V., Shurshina I. V. Zmei Samarskoy oblasti [Snakes of Samara region]. Tolyatti: Kassandra, 2009, 170 p. [In Russian]
2. Poklontseva A. A., Bakiev A. G. Vestnik Volzhskogo universiteta im. V. N. Tatishcheva. Ser.: Ekologiya [Bulletin of Volzhsk University named after V. N. Tatishchev. Series: Ecology]. 2011, iss. 12, pp. 78–81. [In Russian]
3. Kudryavtsev S. V., Frolov V. E., Korolev A. V. Terrarium i ego obitateli [Terrarium and itsinhabitants]. Moscow: Lesnaya promyshlennost', 1991, 350 p. [In Russian]
4. Luiselli L., Rugiero L. Revue d’Ecologie [Ecological review]. 2005, vol. 60, pp. 77–81.
5. Shine R. Oecologia. 1978, vol. 33, iss. 3, pp. 269–277.
6. Thorpe R. S. Copeia. 1989, vol. 1, pp. 53–63.
7. Madsen T. Oikos. 1983, vol. 40, iss. 2, pp. 227–282.
8. Rivas J., Burghardt G. Animal Behaviour. 2001, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1–6.
9. Tabachishina I. E., Tabachishin V. G., Zav'yalov E. V. Sovremennaya gerpetologiya [Modern herpetology]. 2003, vol. 2, pp. 154–157. [In Russian]
10. Modnov A. S. Vestnik Tambovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Tambov State University]. 2009, vol. 14, iss. 2, pp. 394–402. [In Russian]
11. Werner Y. L., Shapira T. Turkish Journal of Zoology. 2011, vol. 35, iss. 4, pp. 451–466.
12. Ermolenko S. V., Gagut A. N., Gasso V. Ya. Vіsnik Dnіpropetrovs'kogo unіversitetu. Bіologіya, ekologіya [Bulletin of Dnepropetrovsk University. Biology, ecology]. 2016, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 526–530.
13. Van Gelder J. J., Olders J. H. J., Mertens L. A. J. M., Kersten H. L. M. Journal of Herpetology. 1988, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 53–60.
14. Najbar B. Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia. Series A: Vertebrata. 2006, vol. 49, no. 1–2, pp. 33–40.
15. Kuryachiy K. V., Tupikov A. I. Problemi ekologiï ta okhoroni prirodi tekhnogennogo region [Problems of ecology and environmental protection of the technogenic region]. Donetsk: Donetskiy natsional'nyy un-t, 2008, iss. 8, pp. 104–109.